Northfield Metro EXPRESS Frequently Asked Questions
STARTING MAY 13, 2013: Due to construction at Mall of America, the Northfield Metro Express will now pick-up/drop-off at the MOA Transit Station at 24th Avenue. This is the same area the Metro Transit buses and Light Rail service uses. Click here for a map: Mall of America Transit Station
All passengers must present the driver a VALID BOARDING PASS or ORDER NUMBER upon boarding the Northfield Metro EXPRESS bus. Online Ticket Receipts, Itineraries, and emails will NO LONGER be accepted as tickets.
If you do not have a Boarding Pass, you may show the driver a picture ID and he will verify your identity against his manifest of riders. If you do not have a Boarding Pass and you are not listed on the driver’s manifest, YOU MUST PAY THE DRIVER $20.00 CASH – NO EXCEPTIONS!
All tickets are NON-REFUNDABLE.
Terms and Conditions
When using internet tickets, you must travel on the exact dates purchased from the exact locations purchased. You must present an ID along with your electronic ticket in order to board the bus.
- All Northfield Lines/Northfield Metro EXPRESS internet tickets are non refundable.
- Northfield Lines will not be responsible for delays caused by breakdowns, road conditions, weather, or other conditions beyond the carriers' control.
- Northfield Lines will not be responsible for lost or stolen tickets.
- Tickets are non-transferable and, if presented for transportation by any person other than the one for whom originally purchased, will be void and may be confiscated by a Northfield Lines agent or authorized employee of any bus carrier over which the ticket is issued.
- Northfield Lines is not responsible for Tickets that are undeliverable, not received, or delivered to incorrect addresses due to inaccurate delivery information provided by customer, including physical and e-mail addresses.
For additional information please call 507-663-0796 between 8am and 5pm Central Time on weekdays; 6am to 10am Central Time on Saturdays.
Changing your ticket:
You must call the office at 507-663-0796 to change your ticket. All tickets are non-refundable, however agents can re-issue a ticket for a $5.00 fee, with the ability to change rider name(s) and travel date(s) but not ticket quantity, ticket type, origin or destination.
I tried to purchase my ticket online and it looks like I have been charged twice.
No worries! You have NOT been charged twice. Chances are, when you were entering your billing address, you entered in the wrong information. It’s important to note that a transaction declined for Address Verification Service (AVS) or Card Code Verification (CCV) by the payment gateway has still been approved by the card issuing bank, meaning the requested funds will be placed on hold, thereby reducing the customer’s available credit. This is not an actual charge to the credit card and the bank will release the funds back to the card after the authorization expires (usually within two weeks but up to one month depending on the credit card issuing bank). If requested, a hold can potentially be voided by contacting the customer’s credit card issuing bank.
Where's the Bus?
In cases of bad weather or heavy traffic, we update our BLOG letting riders know their approximate wait times. This is not an exact science, but an estimate, as wait times can change due to traffic and weather changes.
How to Ride
Riding with Northfield Metro EXPRESS is easy:
- Call our office at 507-663-0796 or visit our website to find a route that fits your need.
- Arrive 5 minutes early to board your bus. Our buses run on-time, so don't be late! The bus WILL NOT wait for you!
- Sit back and enjoy the ride. Our coach buses offer free Wi-Fi.
- No loud music is allowed on the bus - use headphones.
- Listen for stop announcements and exit the bus at your stop.
Catching the Bus
Wait for the bus at the appropriate time and place, according to the schedule. PLEASE BE READY 5 MINUTES BEFORE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE. The bus will NOT wait for you if you are late!
How to Pay the Fare
- Pre-pay online by going to www.northfieldlines.com. Show the driver your boarding pass when entering the bus.
- Cash: Give bills or coins to the driver. Pay exact fare. Change is not available.
- $12.00 One-Way -This fare is non-refundable and subject to $5.00 cancellation/change fee.
- $20.00 One-Way - Walk-On ONLY - This fare is non-refundable. Not subject to cancellation/change fee.
- $200.00 Twenty (20) One-Way punch pass, Expires after 60 days from purchase. (Must call office to purchase)
- $250.00 One Month Unlimited Commuter Pass (Must call office to purchase)
Each passenger is allowed one carry-on bag and a maximum of 3 checked bags. Fees will be assessed on checked bags as follows:
1st checked bag is free.
2nd checked bag will be charged $5.00.
3rd checked bag will be charged $5.00.
If you have not paid for your luggage in advance, you will be charged CASH at the door for unpaid baggage. Agents/Drivers DO NOT accept credit cards or checks.
When does the bus stop at the airport?
Monday – Friday we are at the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport eight times daily. We drop at the airport at 6:30am, 10:05am, 1:15pm, 3:43pm and 7:40pm. We pick up at 7:35am, 1:15pm, 4:46pm and 7:40pm. Friday nights we have an additional stop at 10:40pm. On Saturdays and Sundays we drop at the airport at 11:07am and 4:07pm and pick up at 12:25pm and 5:25pm. On Saturday nights we have an additional stop at 10:05pm.
Where at the airport does the bus pick-up/drop-off?
The Northfield Metro EXPRESS bus picks-up and drops-off at the Airport Transit Station, which is located at the Terminal 1 (Lindbergh Terminal). People needing to travel between MSP's Terminal 2 (Humphrey) and Terminal 1 can do so via free Light Rail Transit (LRT) service.
Trains run between terminals around the clock, seven days a week, every 7 to 8 minutes during peak times and 10 to 15 minutes at other times of day. Please visit www.metrotransit.org for more information regarding the Light Rail Transit service.
I rode the bus to the Twin Cities, how do I get around?
You have a variety of mass transit options in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area! Please visit www.metrotransit.org for bus and Light Rail information and schedules. In the south metro you can visit www.mvta.com for the Minnesota Valley Transit Authority’s schedules or http://www.swtransit.org/ for Southwest Transit’s schedules. For Minneapolis transportation information please visit http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/business/transportation.asp. For St. Paul information http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=1935.
Tips for safe travel in bad weather
When traveling during the winter months, please remember the following tips:
* Buses move only as quickly as traffic allows. If the weather is poor due to snow and/or ice, consider taking an earlier bus if one is available to ensure that you arrive at your destination on time.
* If your bus is late, remember your driver is doing his or her best to make sure you arrive at your destination despite bad road conditions or heavy traffic.
* Buses may slide on snow as they approach the curb. Stay back on the sidewalk until the bus comes to a complete stop.
* Be visible. On dark winter mornings, it's especially important that you make yourself visible to an approaching bus. Wear light-colored clothing.
* Bus steps become slippery from snow. Use the handrails and take your time.
* Dress warmly. Put on an extra layer - even a short wait at your stop can be dangerous if you're not dressed for the weather.
Cell Phones are allowed on the bus. Please be respectful of other passengers by speaking quietly and keeping phone calls short.
If you have any questions, your driver will be happy to assist you!
- Once all the seats are full, riders are allowed to stand in the aisles. However riders do so at their own risk.
- Please do not stand or sit in the bus stairwell.
- Federal law prohibits standing in front of the white line next to the driver.